Disability Pride: Insights from an award-winning ambassador for disability equality
Driving the Disability Confident agenda
AdviserPlus is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader organisation and we were delighted to receive the accolade of ‘Highly Commended’ at the 2023 Disability Smart Awards, in recognition of our commitment and dedication to creating an inclusive workplace for disabled employees.
Our Learning Director, Pat Ashworth, plays a pivotal role in driving this agenda as she is a member of the Government’s Disability Confident Professional Advisors Group (PAG) and was involved in developing the Disability Confident scheme. The Government’s Disability Confident Scheme helps employers create inclusive workplaces, making them more accessible and offering better opportunities for disabled individuals.
As we mark Disability Pride this month, we interviewed Pat to find out more about what it means to be a Disability Confident organisation and why we need to continue to push the agenda to drive change for disabled talent in the workplace. Watch now to hear expert insight on the benefits of creating more accessible and inclusive working environments. In this engaging 10-minute interview you’ll learn the following:
- Strategies to raise awareness and foster positive attitudes towards disability
- The potential barriers that organisations may encounter while supporting disabled employees and how to overcome them
- How to increase understanding of the practical implications of changes in disability legislation.
The importance of diverse representation in organisations
We asked Pat for her thoughts on the importance of having diverse representation in companies, and she emphasised that diversity leads to greater creativity, which is vital in today’s ever-evolving business landscape.
Here are some of the initiatives we’ve implemented at AdviserPlus to create an inclusive culture that welcomes every individual:
- ‘Raising the game on disability’ workshop: AdviserPlus have established a culture of understanding and inclusion that extends from the executive team to managers and employees. We educate everyone about disabilities and what they mean, encouraging open and confident discussions. This creates a safe environment where people can freely ask questions and address relevant issues.
- The ‘Wellbeing plus forum’: This platform encourages employees to share suggestions, raise queries, and discuss vital topics related to well-being, including the representation of disabled individuals in our business. We believe in giving everyone a voice and ensuring their concerns are heard and addressed.
- Employee’s personal passports: AdviserPlus have implemented a straightforward and confidential tool that allows employees to share information about their disabilities and their specific requirements. This way, they can safely communicate their needs whenever they change roles or jobs within the organisation, without having to repeatedly engage in challenging conversations about it. We aim to make the process smoother and more supportive for our employees with disabilities.
Becoming a Disability Confident Leader
To find out more about the Disability Confident Scheme, check out this informative video with a step-by-step guide to achieving success.