Outsourcing employee relations support to empower® by AdviserPlus
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, Virgin Atlantic’s operations were heavily impacted; permanent headcount reductions were made and furlough took effect as the mobility of people worldwide was curtailed. The need for effective employee relations support became more urgent than ever.
In 2020, Virgin Atlantic redefined their HR operating model. This included removing the Employee Relations Manager and Consultant roles and setting up a centralised Advice and Guidance team within People Operations. It was recognised by the Leadership Team at Virgin Atlantic that processes needed to be underpinned by an effective self-service offering to maintain the leadership style synonymous with the brand: that happy employees equal happy customers.
Accordingly, they sought a partner that could provide:
• a best-in-class service, as befitting Virgin Atlantic’s reputation as a market-leader;
• a manager self-service solution, aligned with Virgin Atlantic’s reputation as an innovator;
• a seamless extension of the in-house HR Team; all in a cost-efficient way.
of Virgin Atlantic Managers rated our case adviser's understanding of their business area and specific circumstances as excellent.
“Fantastic service – the advice was brilliant and gave me all I needed to handle the case on my own.”
The AdviserPlus solution
AdviserPlus worked with Virgin Atlantic to deliver:
- Within just four weeks of engagement, AdviserPlus mobilised an advice line, staffed by dedicated ER advisers who were wholly aligned with Virgin Atlantic’s policies, processes, procedures, culture, brand identity and commerciality;
- empower® technology to provide line managers with the ability to self-serve and end-to-end manage people matters, including sickness absence, informal disciplinary, performance and grievance, and flexible working from their remote locations, with confidence and consistency This meant a substantial reduction in the volume of cases warranting involvement from the in-house HR Team, enabling them to focus on the more complex cases;
- An analytics portal to provide a centralised reporting dashboard for all ER and advice and guidance data;
- Assurance that people matters are being dealt with consistently and compliantly, with any complex cases or concerns referred to the in-house People team.